Sunday, January 10, 2010

Working Girl

Well, it finally happened. Dave got laid off. Now don't freak out--we planned and saved. Everything is covered. I now work six days a week. I only work morning shifts, so the kids don't even notice I'm working more. The only difference to them is not hearing mom yell at them two mornings a week to get up and ready for school. Which brings me to a funny moment.

Dave texted me the moment he got his pink slip. I answered with, "hey, I'll call my dad and let him know he's off the hook taking Paxton to school for a while." He promptly replied, "you know I have to be to the hall at 8am." To which I answered, "no problem. He has to be to school at 7am." Really? You think you're going to get out of taking the kids to school?! He didn't. He has been wonderful. He has cleaned and cooked. Cooking, not my strong point. Which leads to another funny moment.

One day my kids were watching Family Feud. The question was, "Name something women do better than men." I immediately thought "cook". They went through the answers and of course "cooking" was number one. Both my kids gave a perplexed look at the television and responded with, "What?" You see, I don't cook. I mean, I do simple things (breakfast, spaghetti, chili), but I'm certainly not noted for a particular meal. There are no request for my home cooking at dinner time. I'm sure most of you hear, "hey mom, could you make this or that for dinner." Or maybe they squeal in delight knowing that the one dinner they love is on the menu that night. Not at my house. Left to me, it's Panda or Taco Bell. I may stretch my culinary talents and get something frozen from Costco and use the oven for that. I have cooked a Thanksgiving dinner and have a killer cinnamon roll recipe; but for the most part anything to write home about has come from dad. So for that I am grateful to have him home.

He has a long list of "honey do's" and the cash to get them done. He should be back to work by the end of February maybe March. We have been very blessed over the past year when so many were not. We were wise with our good fortune and know that as we continue to be thankful and generous, we will continue to have our needs and wants met. All we have comes from our Heavenly Father, we must keep this foremost in our minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment