Sunday, January 24, 2010

Stormy Weather

Out here in the desert, we just got a years worth of rain in 4 days. I was lucky enough to be working those 4 days. Weather and the airline industry are like oil and water. Thursday I started my day at 4:45am and walked out at 9:45pm. Yes, I liked the overtime pay, but man, I'm tired. I was at one gate all day. At about 7pm I get a call from home. Keep in mind that I've been starring at about 300 people in the boarding area all day and dealing with a 20+ person line since 5am. My son is on the other end of the phone full of excitement. "Hey mom, did you know that there were 190 flight delays today?" Really, are you serious. I begin to wonder if he really knows what I do for a living. "Yes," I say with a sigh, "I'm looking at all those inconvenienced people right now. Most are looking back as if they want to follow me to my car after work and do bodily harm." I'm sure he meant well, just keeping me informed. He needs to stick to weather reports. After about two days, everyone got where they were going.

Dave is still the better mom. He finished painting the house today, just in time for the HOA! He is determined to cut back and utilize all available resources. Let's begin with the fireplace. We are in a 20+ year old house. We were probably one of the last homes built with a wood burning fireplace. Well, we're burning wood; and pizza boxes, paper plates, newspaper, and anything else combustible. We were eating pizza the other night with a fire going. When the kids were finished, they threw their paper plates in the fireplace. I looked in horror. I asked them how much more hillbilly could we get. Then dad threw his in. This is now the running joke. They all know how to make me cringe. This morning after breakfast dad chimed that he would be taking care of the dishes, I handed him the long lighter.

All of us are doing well. The new homework rules are great. Paxton's teachers are shocked that he's turning in homework. He is now getting high B's and A's. Gabby learned that we mean what we say. She had one missing assignment and lost out on any weekend activities. They are learning.

We are dealing with Dave's unemployment and realizing how blessed we are. Things are so much worse for others without the security of a duel income. We give thanks daily for those simple blessings; again understanding that all we have, and have been blessed with, comes from our Heavenly father.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad I do not have a fireplace I could only imagine what Matt would come up with.

    ReplyDelete