Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The day started as any other weekday off of work--taking Paxton to his earlybird class (Madrigals). As we were walking out I mentioned his advent countdown filled with chocolate. He said he would get it later followed by, "and if Gabby eats any of mine, I'll kick her butt!" I asked "you would consider physical violence for candy?" He said, "yes." I told him he has issues and headed out the door. When I came home, Gabby was ready for school. I told her I was headed back to bed as a walked toward the coat closet located by the family room. She asked if I was going to sleep downstairs. I replied, "No, I'm going to a little room with things called hangers--you put clothes on them. I am going to put my coat on one and try out this new thing I heard about called a 'tidy home for Christmas'. You see mine, like all other preteen and teenagers will use chairs, sofas, and the ever popular floor for anything fresh off their body. In this respect, we are just like everybody else.
Time for a little history. I was born in Las Vegas. My dad was born in Las Vegas. I was not a child bride. I did not have my kids at 16. My grandfather came to the valley in 1938, the 8th postman in Las Vegas. I was married at 21 and didn't have kids until I was 28. Yes I'm 40, and 40 is fabulous. I was born into the church and my husband is a convert. He has always felt "less-than" Mormon because of this. I say, "get over it". If anything he is more than. After living 23 years and having all of those life experiences, he choose to become a member. What a hero. Sure, even if your born and raised in the church, at some point you have to find your own testimony of its truthfulness. Everyone, member or not, needs to study scripture, read the Book of Mormon and pray earnestly for the answer to the same question posed by Joseph Smith so long ago, "Which church is true?" So David has times when he is more active than others. My dad was the same way--I figured I'd carry on the family tradition. Today my father is an active High Priest and very supportive of my mother in her callings. I have no doubt that David will follow that same path and one day know the joy and happiness that comes from living gospel principles. In the meantime, and for as long as that may be, I practice unconditional love. The whole family does. Face it, the reality is that sometimes we all do stuff that will make someone else in the family say "and you did that because?!" Jesus is my inspiration and best example. Trust me, it's really just that simple. Try it with friends and family. You'll be surprised how little aggravates you in a day. Judging people and coming up with your own conclusions just takes that job away from our Savior. He asks only that we "Love One Another". (Another Children's Songbook song) Try it for a day or two. See how much happier you'll be to your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment