Thursday, May 6, 2010

Women's Conference

Wow! I have been working 6 days a week and just had a week off. I went to Women's Conference at BYU with my mom, sisters and cousin. We had a blast and learned so much. I am excited to start living and trying the words of wisdom I received. It snowed the entire time we were there, which was a nice change from the Vegas heat. Patti, my cousin, introduced us to quilt store shopping. We had to lure her out of the last one with promises of a Diet Coke. She has inspired me to take out my sewing machine I bought 2 years ago and do something with it. Seeing my sisters all together was a thrill. With one in Salt Lake and one in Seattle, it is a blessing when we can all be together.
I learned that I am handling life's speed bumps just as I should. I promised a treasured friend that I would be more general in my statements, so as not to point fingers, but suffice it to say, I'm on the right track when it comes to them. The Conference stressed service and the best statement came from Dallin H. Oaks mother, "It's amazing how much you can get done when you don't worry about who gets the credit." Isn't that true? Just do the service! End of story! In every session I went to, the consistent advice was to pray, scripture study and temple attendance. That's what our leaders have always told us, and it still holds true.
We had mint brownies, chocolate cinnamon bears, kettle corn, Cafe Rio (St. George), and Creamery ice cream. I'm good for sugar for the next 6 months. We laughed and laughed and laughed. Some humor was a bit off base, but most was just good fun. I can't wait until next year.
My new work schedule should allow me to update my blog each week. The kids are good. Paxton is 5'8" and 115 lbs. My job this summer is to put weight on the boy. They are good kids that still need a little nagging from mom. Speaking of mothers; Happy Mothers Day to all the moms. Our ward choir is singing a beautiful arrangement that uses the best songs for the kids to sing so I had to be creative. Our primary children will be singing "Grandmas", "Quickly I Obey", and end with "When We're Helping We're Happy". This way they can have a strong finish with tra la la's. Paxton has to speak in Sacrament Meeting. I wrote him a wonderful talk on mothers from the scriptures and how they taught the youth strength and faith. (Seriously, do you really thing a 13yr old, semi active boy is going to sit down and write anything profound?) You know you all write your kids talks or at least sit with them as they are guided in their own writings. I just don't have to deal with a cranky teenager if I do it myself and have him practice days before. I do come off looking like a stellar mother!
Just one last thought, forgiveness! Please forgive and forget. It's the first step in getting your life back when you think others have control. It will clear your heart and open it to so many good things!

No comments:

Post a Comment